soede.net


Home arrow Blog arrow Holz Hausen version 1 - mistakes and collapse
Tuesday, 25 July 2017
Main Menu
Home
News
Poker
John
Cricket Nets
Holz Hausen Experiment
For Sale
Yard Equipment
Archives
Blog
Old Site Links
Search
FAQs
Contact Us
Newsflash
Holz Hausen version 1 - mistakes and collapse PDF Print E-mail
Written by David Soede   
Wednesday, 18 February 2009

 Having built my platform and got all my wood split and ready, Kay then gave birth to our second child (Fidel). Suddenly an enormous amount of spare time vaporised, especially for building Holz Hausens! Eventually things settled down and early summer I started to build my first Holz Hausen. I say first, not because I ended up with more than one, but as you will see from the pics below, I had to rebuild it from scratch!

My first mistake was not to do the initial ring, falsely believing my platform was sturdy enough to forgo it. What was I thinking!
My first mistake was not to do the initial ring, falsely believing my platform was sturdy enough to forgo it. What was I thinking!

The first few rows or rings went fine.
The first few rows or rings went fine.

However, soon enough the wood was leaning down to the outside instead of the inside - I didn't notice at first, thinking it was all laying flat.
However, soon enough the wood was leaning down to the outside instead of the inside - I didn't notice at first, thinking it was all laying flat.

By the 5th row I had noticed the lean but thought I could correct it with splints laying across the wood on the outside.
By the 5th row I had noticed the lean but thought I could correct it with splints laying across the wood on the outside.

Showing the first few rows done and beginning the inside wood stacking.
Showing the first few rows done and beginning the inside wood stacking.

I got the HH to about 4 or 5 foot high and the inside fairly filled when all of a sudden . . .
I got the HH to about 4 or 5 foot high and the inside fairly filled when all of a sudden . . .

It bloody well collapsed, and I realised the main problem was the base not being sturdy enough, which meant ripping it up and building a new base . . .
It bloody well collapsed, and I realised the main problem was the base not being sturdy enough, which meant ripping it up and building a new base . . .
 

 
< Prev   Next >
Design by Joomlateam.com | Powered by Joomlapixel.com |