Home arrow Blog
Tuesday, 26 January 2021
Main Menu
Cricket Nets
Holz Hausen Experiment
For Sale
Yard Equipment
Old Site Links
Contact Us
A blog of all sections with no images
Shamley Green breakdowns PDF Print E-mail
Written by David Soede   
Monday, 18 February 2008

Meanwhile back home at Shamley Green everything is broken! The day Kay left the magic washing washing basket broke, the refilling fridge broke, the self cleaning floors broke, the magic kitchen (you just speak your order and food appears a few minutes later; leave a dirty plate near the sink and the next day it's clean and in the cupboard) broke - everything broke!


Last Updated ( Monday, 18 February 2008 )
Big day PDF Print E-mail
Written by Kay Soede   
Sunday, 17 February 2008

It was one of the biggest days we had here in Japan.  We took a bus, a train and a subway, and finally got to my friend’s place.  Romi is a friend from high school in the States, and she visited us in Australia once, 3 years ago, with her son, Hiro, and her daughter, Miu.  Back then, Hiro was 7, Miu was 4 – but they’ve grown heaps!!  Both of them love little children, so they were very good at looking after Zac.  Since there is big age gap, it was great to be able to leave Zac with them to play, and not have to watch him all the time. 

He had an hour nap on the pram while we ate lunch at one of the Indian curry restaurant – it was yummy J Then we went to Shinjuku.  It’s one of the biggest, if not the biggest, station in Tokyo.  It has whole heaps of shops, department stores, every specialty stores you can possibly imagine!!  It really is hard to explain without you being here.  The city itself is in a couple or even three layers – so if you are not on the correct layer, sometimes even if you are at the right spot, you won’t be able to get into the building you are trying to . . . It’s not too hard to figure out when you are walking, but different scenario if you are driving!!  I often didn’t get to the entrance of one of the hotels by car even though I was in front of it, because I wasn’t on the right level! 

We went to the Kinokuniya bookstore.  This is a huge building full of books.  The whole building (7 storey high) is a bookstore, and each floor has different types of books.  If you go there, you will find whatever you are looking for.  The top floor has all the English books, and if Dave is here, he often spends time there finding out about Samurai sword etc. 

I completely forgot that I had a camera today – so didn’t take any photos at all.  I will take some photos next time I’m in Shinjuku etc.  I’ve asked Romi to send me a  photo of her family, so hopefully I can upload it when I receive it. 

In the meantime, this is a photo of Zac falling asleep at my feet when he was cranky.  He was screaming his head off, and suddenly, it was quiet . . .


  His grandma bought him a new pj.  This character is called “unpunman” and is very popular amongst little children in Japan.
Last Updated ( Sunday, 17 February 2008 )
Cranky, cranky PDF Print E-mail
Written by Kay Soede   
Friday, 15 February 2008

2nd day at the Play group J  Zac wasn’t in the very good mood right from the start of the day – so he enjoyed for a little while before the room got overcrowded . . . I think he is missing his daddy.  He is heaps crankier these days compare to back home . . . 

The group was running from 10am – 3pm today, but we ended up being there from 10:15 for about an hour and left.  They don’t allow any snacks in the group, so lunch can be eaten between 11:30-12:30, but Zac couldn’t wait – as he normally eats his morning tea at 10:30.  I think I will give him morning tea before we go next time, and hopefully, he can play nicely until lunch time.

We’re still not used to this cold weather.  He wants to go outside and play, but he hates the fact he has to wear thick jacket which doesn’t allow him to move freely.  And as soon as we go outside, he wants to come back in, because of the chilly wind he gets on his face.  I hope it will start getting warm soon . . .  We both miss the beautiful weather back home . . .

Last Updated ( Friday, 15 February 2008 )
I can eat! PDF Print E-mail
Written by Kay Soede   
Wednesday, 13 February 2008

We went to the allergy specialist today, to pick up the result from the blood test that was done last week.  It was another drama – as we had to wait for almost two hours!!!  Gee, we were exhausted by the end of the trip to the doctor!!

But the trip was worth it.  YES, his rate on eggs have improved dramatically!!  Unfortunately, the rate for soy has gone up, so he won't be eating anything that contains soy – which is a bit of a bummer, especially while we are here in Japan.  Oh well, it’s better than nothing!!  He was cleared of sesame as well, and all the things I was worried about, and wasn’t tested before, he was negative.  In the future, I can start giving him very small amount of eggs as well as dairy if they have been cooked.  Great news!!!  But I will be very cautious with it – just so that he can completely grow out of it. 

I don’t have any photos related to the allergy test . . . so I will post some funny ones today.

Zac was eating mandarin the other day – and the way he was eating was very cute J  

This is the Japanese equivalent of trolley and their collector.  Miniature size, aren’t they?!!

Last Updated ( Wednesday, 13 February 2008 )
Playgroup PDF Print E-mail
Written by Kay Soede   
Tuesday, 12 February 2008

It’s raining today . . . so we’ve decided to stay home and not go anywhere.  But since Zac has improved dramatically, he was starting to get bored and I decided to look into some facilities around.

I phoned the local government and found out that there was a playgroup for 1 year old today at the school which is right next to my aunt’s apartment building.  So I suddenly dressed Zac in warm coat and took off to join this group.  It is completely free, and there were heaps of toys.  This playgroup is in age category and 2 days of a week is for age 0, another 2 days for 1 year old, and one day for 2 year old.  I suppose since there is heaps of parks etc. for older kids, they are aiming to accommodate the younger ones.  It will be good for Zac & I to go regularly when we are not doing anything, so he won’t miss the company of same age group J 

I wasn’t sure about whether I was allowed to take the photos today, so didn’t take any.  I will ask next time and see whether they allow me.  These days, you can’t even take your own child’s photo at places in Australia . . . I was told not to take any photos at his swimming class at Mingara.  How sad . . . I will insert some photos from the past. 

I arrived here on 4th February for my grandma’s 88th birthday.  It was a surprise for her that Zac & I flew back for it.  She loved it!!!


Mt. Fuji was beautiful on the way to Kobe.  Couldn’t see much on the way back, though.


And this is the reason . . .


Zac fell asleep on the way home from allergy specialist.  He stayed asleep for 1 1/2hr on the pram!!  I don’t think I have to worry about coming home for his nap in the future . . .

Last Updated ( Tuesday, 12 February 2008 )
Tough Weekend . . . PDF Print E-mail
Written by Kay Soede   
Monday, 11 February 2008

Phew . . .  I must say, I am glad to be back.Mum decided to stop by Kyoto to show me the Japanese temple where my great aunt(who came and stayed with us for 6 weeks with my mum & grandma) is buried.  She passed away last July, so this is the first time I am back since she passed away.  She lived with my mum & grandma for last 6 years of her life, so she was pretty much a family member to us. 

It took about 6 hours to get to Kobe even after stopping by Kyoto for about half an hour. The purpose of the trip was to visit my grandma's oldest sister who is 91.  She was hospitalised for a while last month, so we visited her to wish her well. 

Next day, we were going to stay until mid day to spend some more time with her, but it was snowing outside - so we decided to leave as soon as we were ready.  Which ended up being the best decision we made that day - as the freeway got closed just behind us. 

We planned to stay in the city which is half way between Kobe & Tokyo, so it should have been about 3 hour drive.  But unfortunately, because of the snow, it took 6 hours to get there.  Zac started having temperature just before we left, so he slept most of the way, which was very helpful to keep driver's concentration. But unfortunately, his condition got worse after we got there.  His temperature was quite high, and since they don’t have the baby panadol type of medicine here, I was struggling to make him take the powdered medicine diluted in the vitamin drink.  He went to bed around 7pm and woke up screaming at about 7:30pm, and he had mild seizure.  He was completely conscious, but he would jump up once in a while and would scream each time he jumped up.  Since he didn’t have anything like it in the past, I got freaked out, and decided to take him to the doctor.  It happened to be Saturday night, so it had to be emergency at the hospital.  The hotel driver was willing to take us there, but they decided to call an ambulance as it would take only 20min. compare to 40min. with a normal car.  (And ambulance in Japan is free!)  He hasn’t eaten anything all day, there was no thermometer, he had high temperature and diarrhea all day, so this was the only decision I could make. 

They took the blood to test for flu etc., which took about 40min. for the result to arrive.  In the meantime, he got the drip connected to him just to keep him hydrated.  When the result arrived, everything he got tested for, he was negative, which was a great news.  We phoned the hotel to send transport, and waited for another 40min., before we could leave the hospital, and another 40min. in the van, so by the time we got back, it was around midnight.  We were all exhausted, so I put Zac to bed, had bath and head off to bed – and then Zac woke up screaming again.  He had the same symptoms as before, which he didn’t have in the ambulance or at the hospital.  At that time, I sort of figured out that he was getting the seizures when he was getting too hot.  So from that point, I fixed the problem and he rested well.   Although, he woke up with really bad diarrhea again next morning, and didn’t eat anything all day.  But he could take liquid and temperature has gone down, so we decided not to go back to the hospital and left the city to head back home. 

So there, it was going to be only short update on what’s happened over the weekend, and became an essay!!!  I hope you enjoyed the photos this time.  I hope to be able to upload some video footage soon . . .

Last Updated ( Wednesday, 13 February 2008 )
<< Start < Prev 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 Next > End >>

Results 651 - 660 of 664
Design by | Powered by |